Alternative Title: Random Friday Facts, a la Katie
We’ll start with me:
1. We have a houseguest for the month; a friend of D’s is in Denver for a Med School rotation. We have a pretty sweet three-piece set up here, a constant buddy around! He cooked us fish tacos for dinner on Tuesday night, hence I immediately decided he can stay.
The recipe: Tilapia, corn & black bean salsa, geek yogurt sauce (cayenne +garlic powder + lime juice + s/p + cumin), corn tortillas & a hungry group of three.
Yup, that is a two-thumbs-up dinner.
2. I used to chew two pieces of gum at the same time, all the time.
For no particular reason, I haven’t bought a single pack of gum since the day before we left DC.
3. I am far from being a grammar or spelling expert, but it drives me cah-razy when the following words aren’t used right: there/their, your/you’re, here/hear.
Mostly the middle one, though. Seriously.
4. I’m a little food-safety crazy. If you had to take “ServSafe” more than once, you would be too. There’s a good reason I rarely eat Sushi
5. There’s a journal sitting on my nightstand; I write in it a few times a week. You know, the pen & paper kind? Yup, those still exist.
On that note, I still send my Grandma post-cards and letters. Just sticking with her preferred method of communication, and reminding myself that there are ways to have conversations that don’t involve a bright screen.
Now, Food & Nutrition style:
6. Protein: Eggs contain the highest quality protein in any food, and the entire thing is edible – even the shell!
I don’t think you should add it to salads or anything, but I do think that’s interesting.
7. One pound = 3500 calories. Recommended intake (loose term here, especially with athletes in the mix) = 2,000 calories per day.
This means, in order to gain a pound in one day, you’d have to eat 5,500 calories.
That’s A LOT, just to put the “I gained __lbs yesterday” expression into context.
9. Peaches are here! In season! Did you catch that yet? I love them.
Here are other useful facts about this juicy summer luxury:
*1 medium peach = ~50 calories
*Source of vitamins A & C
*Source of potassium
*Tastes good in: yogurt, salsa, smoothies, marinades, my hands, etc.
10. I have three ears of Farmers’ Market corn waiting anxiously to be used, and I think this needs to be re-created, ASAP:
Go for it! Tell me something random that just popped in your head.