It’s no secret that I love the stretching, posing, hand-standing, balancing mix that is yoga. We became best buds last Fall, and had quite the affair.
It’s been the star of the show a few times around here, but finds itself pushed out of the spotlight once training takes over.
In March I was deep into half-marathon training, left my job a lululemon and started a new one, in an office. Without random weekdays off (i.e. a retail schedule), reimbursement for classes, or a lot of motivation outside of the run, I set yoga aside. With cold temperatures and snow sidewalks long-gone (whew!), we found other ways to start sweating.
There’s room for everything, right? Yoga, cycling, running, hiking – you can all get along and fit next to each other.
In fact, Sassy & I are challenging ourselves to find where that balance sits.
July Yoga Challenge, The Points & Stretches:
- Focus on a specific pose each week*, work on it and get there
- Do yoga in some form, every day – this could be a class, podcast (e.g. Dave), at-home DVD (e.g. Bob), or even just your own stretch + pose session.
Ex. Last night I did a few downward dogs, forward folds & tree pose on each side (left, right). All stretches were needed after we did a not-so-easy Colorado hike yesterday.
- Get outside of your comfort zone! This one really isn’t too difficult with most poses – after a certain point, they are but comfortable. But really, try a different style / class, pose, and/or flow. Don’t stick to your ‘usual’, whatever it may be. You’ll get much more out of this when you explore what’s really possible.
- Check in here, or with Sass. I’ll post weekly updates / logs, opening it up to you to do the same. What’s a challenge without someone holding you accountable?? Exactly.
- Use the hashtag! If you’re a tweet-tweeter, we’re keeping track with this – #yogaChallenge
*This week I’m keeping it simple – Forward Fold, hands touching the ground!
Take the first few days to really loosen up those leg muscles (Runners, I’m typing to you) and get the basics down. My advice: stretch EVERY day/night, until those finger tips start getting closer and closer.
This will last for the remainder of July, as it technically started on Friday (July 1st). But since this post is late, feel free to extend your own challenge for the full 31 days (i.e. into August).
Now for the roll-call – if you want to “sign up” and join us, leave a comment and let me know!
“Practice Yoga so you can remain active in physical sports as you age.”
-Chip Wilson, lululemon manifesto
Today’s action: 6:30 a.m. Anusara Yoga with Alex, twists & turns.