Last night, I ran 16 miles. Late-night run, Success!
Before: With a 7 pm “start” in mind, the forecast was “feels like 93*, humidity at 38%”. I can get over that heat, since it cooled Down as we ran (glorious!). That humidity level? A-mazing. The plan: meet Kate for ~10 miles, have D with me on the bike, and enjoy a nice LR so it can be crossed off of the Saturday agenda.
Around 5:30 I had some pre-run fuel, and I made some during-the-run snacks.
Nutella + Whole wheat Bread + Banana + Peanut Butter
Nutella + Smashed banana + Bread
Yes, these little sammie-bites were just as messy, and tasty, as they look.
D & I headed down through Rock Creek Park, up behind the Lincoln Memorial, and along the Mall until we met Kate (4 miles). From there, it was a simple out-and-back along the Mount Vernon Trail.
On D’s bike you would find two hydration sources: Water & Orange Accelerade. Aside from races & Propel, I’m not a Sports-drink drinker. The Accelerade was a risk – a tasty, refreshing, electrolyte -replacing, totally-worth-it risk! Thumbs UP.
Welcome to my brain, over the course of/after completing 16 miles…
- When you think it’s a good idea to pack snacks that you like (see: bananas, nutella, peanut butter), think again. Eat them while you run, digest, keep running. Then, guess what? Those foods don’t sound so good after you run, and that is a sad day.
- I think they should serve popsicles on race courses. They are cold, refreshing, juicy, and full of sugar – all good things! (I grabbed a TJ’s All-Natural Strawberry Popsicle immediately after walking in the door. Heaven.)
- During-the-run fantasies: cold, sweet, smoothie, yogurt…you get the idea. After-the-run consumption of said things: initially tasty, quickly gross, I-want-salty! Grab the tortilla chips. Perfection.
- A bathtub full of cold water is not the same as an ice bath. Plan ahead; buy ice next time.
- If the Garmin loses signal for at least 1/4 mile, it’s okay to stop when it says “15.75”. I won’t, but I should remind myself it IS OKAY. Ugh.
- Running with the RB and D? It doesn’t get any better than that. I heart good company.
Does anyone else find themselves slightly “delirious” after Long, hard workouts? I swear my brain switches gears to make up for the fact that for the past 2.5 hours, I solely concentrated on enjoyment/survival.